Directions: Suppose you are asked to give advice on whether to attend college at home or abroad, write an essay to state your opinion. You are required to write at least 150 words but no more than 200 words.
Nowadays, there has been a heated discussion as to a better choice between attending college at home and abroad. Views on the topic vary greatly among people from different walks of life. Some believe that it is a better choice to study in domestic colleges, but others consider it better to study abroad. I totally agree with the latter idea for the reasons presented below. To begin with, it harms the society in that the greater the competition is, the higher the recruitment requirements will become. Therefore, with experiences of studying abroad, graduates will become more competitive in job hunting. Furthermore, it is beneficial to the students themselves to study abroad. Without the choice to pursue overseas study, many great scholars today would never have achieved such great success. From my perspective, it is crucial that the government should encourage people to pursue overseas study. Also it is crucial that people should understand the meaning and value of attending college abroad. Only in this way can we achieve greater success.
1. A) He would feel insulted.
2. B) They are of little value.
3. A) He seldom writes a book straight through.
4. D) Unlike a football match, there is no end to writing a book.
5. C) High college dropout rates among black athletes.
6. D) They make money for the college but often fail to earn a degree.
7. C) Slightly over 50%.
8. A) Coaches lack the incentive to graduate them.
9. B) Holiday shopping.
10. D) About 183.8 million.
11. C) They are thriving once more.
12. B) Higher employment and wages.
13. D) They are antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
14. D) Routine operations have become complex.
15. C) Money.
16. B) It improves students' ability to think.
17. A) They encourage academic democracy.
18. A) His thirst for knowledge.
19. D) People tend to underestimate their mental powers.
20. B) They include more or less the same number of states.
21. C) Reviewing your lessons where the exam is to take place.
22. A) Discover when you can learn best.
23. C) He is a sociologist.
24. D) In developing countries.
25. B) Their income is less than 50% of the national average family income.
26. F) focused
27. L) trigger
28. O) volunteers
29. H) instructed
30. J) sealed
31. M) uttering
32. A) apparently
33. C) brilliance
34. D) claiming
35. N) volume
F 36. Middle school is a crucial period when students may become keenly interested in advanced mathematics
A 37. Elite school math competitions are attracting more interest throughout the United States.
I 38. Math circles provide students with access to advanced-math training by university professors.
G 39. Students may take advantage of online resources to learn to solve math problem.
L 40. The summer program run by a nonprofit organization has helped many underserved students learn advanced math.
E 41. Winners of local contests will participate in the national math competition for free.
J 42. Many schools don’t place academic competitions at the top of their priority list.
B 43.Contestants of elite high school math competitions are mostly Asian and white students from well-off families.
M 44. Some math training programs primarily focus on raising students’ math scores.
H 45. Some intensive summer programs are very expensive but most of them provide scholarships.
46. [A] It’s backed by a campus spending analysis.
47. [B] Facilities management by colleges is more cost-effective.
48. [C] render a number of campus workers jobless