Directions: Suppose you are asked to give advice on whether to attend a vocational college or a university, write an essay to state your opinion. You are required to write at least 150 words but no more than 200 words.
With the flourish of education industry, modern students are faced with more alternatives to continue their further education. Both attending a vocational college or a university serves as two main options for the high school graduates. In terms of which to choose and what to be taken into consideration, I shall advise as follows:
Primarily, self-orientation matters the most when it comes to a issue like this. Obviously, the main task of vocational college is cultivating human resource with practical capability. Instead, university serves as the cradle of academic researchers in different areas. Therefore, being aware of your self-expectation with a clear future blueprint lays a foundation for this important decision.
Apart from what has been mentioned above, personal interest also plays a key role in it. For both passion and motivation are derived from interest, which not only decide how far you can reach academically and professionally but also how happy and fulfilled you will be .
To sum up, a clear recognition of self orientation and personal interest will decide whether you will tick the box of vocational college or university. Only in this way can we get the most out of the further education.
Part II Listening Comprehension
Section A News
1. B) The test driver made a wrong judgment
2. D) They have generally done quite well.
3. A) He works at a national park.
4. B) They were making a lot of noise.
5. A) The discovery of a new species of snake.
6. C) A snake crawled onto his head in his sleep.
7. D) From its color.
8. C) His flight is leaving in less than 2 hours.
9. B) By credit card.
10. A) Give him a receipt.
11. D) Posting a comment on the hotel’s webpage.
12. C) He has stopped making terrible faces.
13. D) Warn him of danger by making up a story.
14. A) They could break pp’s legs.
15. B) One would have to shave their head to remove a bat in their hair.
16. C) Everything seemed to be changing.
17. A) Meeting people.
18. D) He was a young student in the 1960s.
19. B) They avoid looking at them.
20. C) It focuses its eyes on their mouths.
21. B) By taking in their facial expressions as a whole.
22. D) They resort to different means to survive the bitter cold.
23. C) They consume the energy stored before the long sleep.
24. A) By storing enough food beforehand
25. C) To stay safe
26. K) referred
27. O) volunteers
28. M) specifically
29. H) novel
30. I) potential
31. E) identified
32. L) species
33. G) marine
34. B) consciously
35. J) predators
D 36. A number of factors are driving down the global oil prices not just for now but in the foreseeable future.
L 37. Pricing carbon proves the most economical way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
J 38. It is estimated that extreme weather conditions have endangered the lives of millions of African children.
E 39. The prices of coal are low as a result of over-supply and decreasing demand.
H 40. Higher fossil fuel prices prove to be conducive to innovation and application of cleaner technology.
A 41. If fossil fuel prices remain low for a long time, it may lead to higher emissions of greenhouse gases.
G 42. Fossil fuels remain the major source of primary energy consumption in today’s world.
F 43. Even major fossil exporting countries have great potential to develop renewable energies.